Monday, October 11, 2010

Don't watch the SABC...bad for you health!!

Good Day!


Its not such a beautiful sporting Monday morning for one particular reason. I can't discuss anything about Bafana's performance against the Leone Stars with my fellow "sofa" coaches. No debates, tactical master plan that should have been implemented this and that way! Nothing, NADA!!!  And that is thanks to our beloved SABC! 


Well, according to media outlets, Bafana got a very credible draw away in Freetown. The SABC, holders of all broadcast rights for Bafana Bafana games, saw it fit not to broadcast the game yesterday. Can't wait for their explanation. Not like I am expecting anything that will make sense. 


I don't know how it makes you feel, but I will tell you that I can't find one word in the dictionary that captures my irritation with the SABC for not showing Bafana's games. It's a serious pain and a health risk, to scroll through all Dstv channels back and forth hoping that, by some weird miracle they might be showing the game. No luck for me, I went to Lesotho TV, Soweto TV, and even M-NET, just hoping!!!!


A few weeks back, SAFA through Leslie Sedibe, put it out that they are putting the broadcasting rights for Bafana's games out in the market for bidding purposes. We all know that the PSL rights we bought by Supersport via DSTV and local football broadcasting has never been better. At the time when Supersport purchased the PSL rights, I wasn't entirely for it as I thought it might take football away from the people who really watched it.

Hindsight shows us that people weren't really getting any football at all through the SABC. And sadly that is the case with Bafana Bafana now. It makes it infinitely sad when you actually pay you TV licence without question. I will continue to do so, and will not for one second call for anyone to stop paying theirs.


But here's what I can call for:


"STOP watching the SABC, they are making loss, after loss, after loss, yearly that is. That is after you've paid you TV licence, they had a huge slice of the government money (your tax money) and they get loads more commercially through advertising."
I don't have access to the SABC's accounts but am fairly certain that commercial revenue makes a huge chunk of their money. That means they have a massive viewer-ship and that is what advertisers are after. So if you and I stopped watching, their viewer-ship drops, they don't get advertisers and thus no money to waste...simples!!! Good programming(not that the're many at the SABC) will find its way to good channels and South Africa will be a better place for it.


I hate missing games, especially when I've planned my day around watching it. It unreasonable from the SABC! I can't imagine how difficult it is to sell the rights for just yesterday's game to Supersport. They new months ago, as you did, that there will be a Bafana vs Sierra Leone game. Why couldn't they make plans to show the game on one of their other channels if those SALTA awards were so important for SABC 1 viewers? 


I am at the end of my blog and haven't even mentioned anything about football, my blood pressure is rising and sugar levels getting worse. The SABC is bad for you health, take it from me!!!


If you don't stop watching the SABC (South African Babalas Corporation), I will go for our mass service and ask for their transmission stations in your area to be hit by lightning!!!


And you know my prayers come true!!! Check the results of Niger vs Egypt after my calls on Friday!!!


cheers and see you soon

No comments:

Post a Comment